Wright states that the company has terminated 50 channels and removed thousands of videos, under an expanded set of guidelines for determining whether content endangers minors.
Video hosting giant YouTube has begun clamping down on content showing children in vulnerable situations as well as disturbing material aimed at children.
Several big-name brands including food companies Mars (M&Ms, Snickers) and Mondelez (Oreos, Cadbury), Diageo (Guinness, Smirnoff vodka, Johnnie Walker scotch whisky), and German retail chain Lidl pulled their advertising from YouTube upon learning their ads ran alongside the videos, The Times first reported.
A Mars spokesperson said in a comment to the news company: "We are shocked and appalled to see that our adverts have appeared alongside such exploitative and inappropriate content".
Concerns about children's videos gained new force in the last two weeks after reports in BuzzFeed and the New York Times and an online essay by British writer James Bridle pointed out questionable clips. The channel had 8 million subscribers before YouTube took it down last week.
EC must investigate bribery allegations made by Hardik: Congress
Upholding the Mandal Commission recommendation that extended reservation to OBCs, the court had in 1992 capped the quota at 50%. Former ASG Vikas Singh on Thursday said the Congress fooled people promising reservation to Patidar community.
Different Alcoholic Drinks Tied to Different Moods
Spirits were the least likely to be associated with feeling relaxed, with just 20 per cent saying it helped them to unwind. What's more, spirit drinkers were also the most likely to feel confident (59%), energised (58%) or sexy (42%).
Opposite Brie Larson In Captain Marvel
However, it's only now that Marvel and directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck have started to build the cast around her. The Fantastic Beasts sequel comes out on November 16, 2018 while Captain Marvel hits theaters on March 8, 2019.
As part of the crackdown, YouTube will remove "inappropriate sexual or predatory comments" on videos featuring minors, and will continue to work to take down advertisements on "content depicting family entertainment characters engaged in violent, offensive, or otherwise inappropriate behavior, even if done for comedic or satirical purposes".
Videos flagged as inappropriate for kids will be slapped with an age-restriction warning on its main YouTube app.
Children are reportedly stumbling across the videos as they pop up as suggestions in apps like YouTube Kids.
After being contacted by Buzzfeed, YouTube management deleted all videos featured in its report and suspended all accounts in question for violating the video service's regulations, according to the media outlet. They also expand on product changes YouTube announced earlier this month.
Tim Loughton, a Tory member of the home affairs select committee, told The Times: "Yet again it appears that YouTube's rhetoric about taking child safeguarding seriously nowhere matches its actions".
In response, a YouTube spokesman said: "There shouldn't be any ads running on this content and we are working urgently to fix this".